The arrival of spring means that there are a number of stinging insects in the environment that can prove to be harmful to your pet. For this reason, according to Dr. Jason Hutt, there are a few things to keep in mind if you believe your dog or cat has been stung by a bee. Depending on what type of bee it is, whether it be a wasp, yellow jacket, or a honeybee, you may want to remove the stinger if it is still present. You want to look for signs of an allergic reaction because pets, like people, can have severe allergies.

If your pet shows any signs of hives, swelling, difficulty breathing, severe lethargy, vomiting, or diarrhea, you should seek medical attention immediately. Bee stings can be just as dangerous for your pet as they are for you, so if your regular veterinarian office is closed and your pet is exhibiting any of the aforementioned symptoms, you should take them to an emergency clinic for treatment. For pets who do not show any of signs of an allergic or anaphylactic reaction, there is not necessarily any medical treatment needed (other than to remove the stinger). Even if they show signs of mild discomfort, never give any aspirin or any other over-the-counter drugs without specific instructions from your veterinarian.

Still want to know more? Take a look at this Bee Stings 101 article.